Monday, March 01, 2010

The Art of Letting Go

I forced hubs to agree to super bonding time this weekend so Yakee, I think, got overstimulated with the attention.

One of the things we did was go to Baywalk-MOA. I have never been there and I was surprised that it is actually a nice place to hang out with friends and family. They allocated a large area for kids to play in, aside from the many other sites and restos.

Anyway, at the end of the boulevard, we found another slide set that isn't filled to overflowing with kids. By this time, Yakee was feeling more at home with the crowd so he started running up the steps and sliding down... again and again and again.

I realized I was being such a helicopter Mom because I kept saying "careful" to him everytime he goes up the stairs. He almost lost his balance several times. One time, I also told a boy a little older than him to be careful, after he kicked Yakee's back to send Yakee sliding down. Good thing hubs and I generally kept our cool. There were older boys going up the slides, jumping from it, sliding down in different ways, etc and I was really itching to chain them to a tree. But like what I told hubs, Yakee will be like that someday.

What else... oh, I kept reminding Yakee to wait his turn, and not to push (however lightly) kids in front of him.

Suffice it to say that it was a little traumatic for us, haha. But we know that we have to learn to let go and allow our son to make mistakes and learn the hard way. He has to learn to socialize on his own terms and we don't want to raise a sissy boy, definitely. But it's really hard not worrying he'll be hurt or bullied... or that he will not play nice.

Arrrgh. Parenthood!







No comments: